Southern-Steel Fabrication

Sunday, May 11, 2008

LATEST PROGRESS







It's taken me quite a while to get this phase of the project working. In earlier posts I captured the progress of the "cameo" I had started...however much to my pain, I ended up going a little to far and ended up breaking thru version 1. So having invested many hours into the first one, I started all over. The pictures are out of sync, but you can see I started out with my line drawing, then started working. I had learned alot from my previous attempt, so on this one I took everything slowly and deliberately. Once I got started on version 2 of the cameo, I ended up also remaking the broken heart section that will go on the back side of the memorial. Also visible in this post is a basic mechanical drawing for my vision of the headstone. This weekend I finished sketching the dogwood tree which will adorn the hinder part of the work. I intend to get to forming on this portion next. All that I lack for the cameo is some planishing and a little more work on the bead frame. I ordered a fantastic book on chasing and repousse' that I wish I had read prior to this 2nd attempt, but what fun is a project if you know everything going into it? I got a copy of Adolph Steines "Moving Metal" from www.kirstenskiles.com and it has been extremely informative. I should state too, that since my wife passed, I've converted a portion of my kitchen into an impromptu chasing studio....now if I can just keep my kids from playing with my hammers I will claim a small victory. Till next post!

3 Comments:

  • At 9:25 PM, Blogger Kirsten said…

    You have to give the kids a little anvil and some copper to texture. It will keep them busy for a few minutes anyway. My kids did a lot of that last year. This year, they are not so interested.

    You've really done an amazing job on this tribute to your wife. Sometimes you do have to make things twice, or even three times, before you know it's right.

     
  • At 10:05 PM, Blogger Joanne said…

    Awesome work, Mark!! You're making great progress!!! Keep it up!

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What an amazing project! Great pics and congratulations...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home