Southern-Steel Fabrication

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Simple Projects = Simple Pleasures




Now sometimes you just gotta keep it simple. Like this handrail you see here....I spent some time coming up with a unique design that I thought would seal the deal and I thought it would jazz up the otherwise plain looking handrail.....however the customer only wanted a "simple" handrail wallah you have the simple handrail shown. Though it was simple it was still a lot of fun, mainly because I made the lamb's tongue. Sure it would have been easier to buy the already pre-made moulded handrail lamb's tongue, but then I wouldn't have had the joy of figuring out how to forge it myself. I started with the moulded raw stock, made a proportional V notch in it, then brought it together. Next I welded the now touching sides of the V notch and rough sanded the weld to blend with the profile. Last I forged it till it intersected with the post and the other section of the cap rail.

Though this was my first forged lamb's tongue I hope to improve with doing more. So even in simple projects we can all push the envelope and ourselves too.

The other project was just a simple elk coat hanger powder coat job. Simple weekend, simple projects, simple pleasure.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home