Southern-Steel Fabrication

Friday, November 17, 2006

4H BIRD BATH



Earlier this year I did a similar project with copper, I just didn't get as creative. This version has an improved copper liner, with a decorative flange, as well as the 4H custom center medallion. For those of you that follow what I do, know that I have stayed committed to incorporating organic themes (ie. roses) in a lot of the works I do. Each one I hope is different than the previous, and the technique I used on this one is definately different than all the others.

Why? Well if you see the stem, the stem is also the base, forged from the same rod. This was a challenge as the copper medallion was riveted to a 6 5/8 " piece of 10 gauge cold rolled steel which was heavy, so I had to forge the stem in such a way to counter balance the top heaviness of the bloom and the medallion, all while keeping the light and airy structure of the stem being woven into the base.

The base is made up of recycled dump rake teeth and cultivator disc. The forged scrolls on the base are spring steel. This project was for an auction fundraiser for the community 4H program which takes place this Sunday.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Incredible! Very eye-catching and, because of the material and workmanship, will last a long time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home