Southern-Steel Fabrication

Sunday, March 12, 2006

This Days Progress

This day's started with me still feeling a little under the weather, but I had projects to resolve and or start. This project was for an chap I know who does some exquisite work with glass. He's been doing some slumped glass bowls which are quite large in diameter. He asked me about making some stands so he could display his work, so I came up with this design. I just finished it about 45 minutes ago. I chose to powder coat it in a copper vein finish. I tried to adapt sem-traditional joinery in the bottom. The bottom with a flick of the wrist actually rotates and slides out of the "mortise" on the sides, then the whole thing folds up for stowing.

The goal was to make a sturdy stand that could hold very expensive glass, that was easy to pack and complementary to the glass artists' work. Hopefully I've accomplished all.
I'll know Monday, when I swing it by his shop and get his reaction. Today I had hoped to make some progress on some other projects I've been working on, but just quite didn't get it done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home